Monday, March 12, 2012

BAGELS AND HIGH LINE

Sesame seed bagel with scallion cream cheese, lox and tomatoes!
(WEDNESDAY, March 7th, 2012)
I have 5 days left before I have to start work officially.... and even though I was ridiculously hungover after my first night as a new yorker, I had to seize the day.  I walked about 12 blocks up to Ess-a-Bagel, on a tip from a Nic (with a 'c')... and yes, it was so absolutely amazing like he said.  From the response I got posting the pic on facebook, i'd say the people have chosen!  Thickest yet not too soft bagel i've ever laid eyes upon!  This lox sammie set me back about $12, but I didn't care, I was in heaven.


Luckily my old friend Dan decided to skip class and show me the town!  (well, 1/64th of it aprox).  We started walking south on 1st Ave...  He showed me the lay of the downtown land.... Houston, the Village, Soho, Nolita, Tribeca from afar, and the west village... Stopped for a drink at this cute lil tavern... Man I totally brought the Cali weather, it was like 60 out!
the High Line!
Then we continued on to this awesome outdoor garden project called the High Line.  It was this old above-ground rail that is no longer running... So it was just sitting there, on the west bank, unused and soaring eyes all over the place.  A few summers back they started this project to make it a urban public park.  Dan says they planted foliage that would have grown there naturally if it hadn't been a rail line.  Now the highrises around it have upped their values like crazy, people go there and watch the sunset over the Hudson to the west.  It was just lovely!
Emo cool
Stink eye!
 We walked like 20 something blocks on the high line till the end on 30th St.... then we zig-zagged back across the city, going through Madison Square Park, Flat Iron District, Gramercy Park (where Dan will someday live like a wealthy man with exclusive keys to the park) and finally back home to the East Village.... you could say that my dogs we're barking!!  Hangover gone, great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment