Wednesday, March 21, 2012

EDITING in NYC

Love me some Game of Thrones 2
I started work today, had my month- metro pass all set to go, subway train route locked down and left at 9:20am to make sure I wasn't late... on my first day!  This little coffee store, The Puerto Rico Coffee Co. is right on my way to the train, score!  It smells delightful in there, with two dozen potato sacks filled with aromatic coffee beans from all over the world.  So balancing the hot coffee cup, my headphones connected to my ipod, my computer backpack & purse, I managed to get my metro card out of my wallet just in time to make the train.  My, my metro card!  (le tigre ref)  ...only to begin sweating like crazy.  It's weirdly hot in NY, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but I hadn't anticipated needing a change of shirt every time I get into my office.  Maybe it would help if I wasn't rushing to work every day of my life, just a thought.  Regardless, I've retired my big coat for now.
My make-shift standing desk
Cool building on W 57th St.

So I work in the old ugly CBS building on 57th St. bwn 10th & 11th ave.  My subway takes me to 57th and 7th ave, and those are long avenues.  Luckily, Dave and Dan showed me the way of the bus!  Often times it runs east/west on big streets.  So low and behold, I caught the M57 bus after just walking half a block west.  I felt pretty darn slick taking two forms of public transpo on my first day of work!!  Eat it LA traffic, ha!  
Columbus Circle
So, work is pretty much the same as in LA, my particular show has a pretty tight schedule and I'm responsible for my own episode, solita.  I do have an amazing producer whom I've worked with in LA long times ago!  I wouldn't be keeping afloat if it wasn't for him.  We get the ways of reality tv post unlike many of these new yorkers.  (cough, cough, refusing to multi-group footage, shoot me now!)  I've made a few friends but alas, the editors and prods are pretty hermit-like when it comes to getting lunch.  I think it's bc NYers walk all the time and lunch is the only time LAers have the opportunity to walk (that is if they're fortunate to work in a cool area)... Oh well, I could use the hunkering-down time to make some sick cutz!  ha!

I walk to Columbus Circle on my way home for a change of pace, I have to transfer trains, but I enjoy walking down 1st Ave from 14th street to get home.  Lots of action, lots to see!  The East Village has a pulse like woah.

No comments:

Post a Comment