Sunday, April 1, 2012

THE WEEK OF JAY

 My baby came to visit!!!  He came in Monday night and was waiting for me in my apartment when I got home from work!  I was so excited to see him and show him around, pro-new yorker style.  1st order of business, pizza!  I discovered this tiny joint around the corner from me on 1st ave. with no sign.  I walked by it for 2 weeks without noticing it.  One night I saw a couple hipster looking dudes outside the store shoving pizza in their mouths and as I leaned in to see the source of this scrumptious looking delight the hipster mumbled, "this is the best freakin pizza in town, no joke!"  I was baffled, "what, the best pizza is here, around the corner from me!"  Get out!  I noticed the giant wheels of cheese in the store window, ran inside, asked how late they were open and the obvious response was, "till 5am, 7 days a week"...as if that was actually a normal response.... NYC is cray cray!  A few days later I realized that this $4 a slice pizza is really delicious!  It's called South Brooklyn Pizza and they have several locations.
Gramma's Pie, South Brooklyn Pizza
 So, we munched on some slices and started walking the East Village blocks... He was just as excited about all the eye candy as I've been, my neighborhood is cool!  We met Dave at a bar, Sophie's I believe and knocked a few down.  P.s. I'm not so sure about the current facial hair do he's rocking but he wears it well!  I guess that's what happens when wifey leaves for 3 months; hubbie buys a ton of electronics and toys, experiments with facial hair patterns and lets the head hair grow out of control.  He can do whatever though, as he's taking good care of my babies, Max and Mona, all by his lonesome!  apparently he's letting all kinds of illegal 100 lb dog action up on the bed while I'm gone too!  but that's another story :-)

Oh and we may have had a late night sammie from this delicious eatery called This Little Piggy... had roast beef.  It's like 5 kinds of roast beef sandwiches, made with gravy or wiz or other things I still have to try, Jay loved it!

Creating his tuna tartar taco!
 So... I believe the next day while I was at work Jay walked something like 15 miles around lower Manhattan, to and fro the brooklyn bridge and then some.  Wild man!  I forced him to take the subway by himself (he made it!) and meet me in the Meat Packing district for a fancy dinner.  We went to Abe & Arthurs.  After a slew of restaurant recommendations from friends I decided to go with the one that had good food (not michilin star, but still good reviews) and cool atmosphere.  We saw Furio from the Sopranos (if you catch my drift)...ha!  We dined on oysters and tuna tartare, scallops and ny strip steak.  It was delightful.  Then we strolled through the west village and dropped in an italian bar where we shared a crisp light ale outside on the terrace.  It could have been a summer night, it was so warm.  We zig-zagged through Washington Square Park and back home to the East Village... as if he didn't do enough walking that day.
Pouring the unknown Italian beer in the west village
 Jay went home to visit his parents in So Jersey the next day, spent the night, and came back into town on Thursday evening, just as Syracuse was getting medieval at the Tourney... he met a lot of old college friends at the Village Pour House which was filled to the brim with patrons.  I didn't enjoy that part of it... I'm too old to get pushed around by people trying to pass through to the bathroom every 3 seconds...  but I digress.

1 comment: