Wednesday, April 4, 2012

THE WEEKEND OF JAY


Jay, Kyle, me and Julie San
Friday night I met Jay, Ms. Julie Duffield, Ms. Kyle Silveri AND Mr. Doug Busch in Carroll Gardens, BK!  That is Kyle and Doug's neighborhood.  It was adorable!  Quieter with stoops, that's how I'd describe it... but still a fun strip of bars and restaurants to gallivant to.  We couldn't get into the restaurant we planned on (1hr 1/2 wait... like woah) but we did come across a nice lil gem with german sauasage specialities, pizza and a BOOT.  Kyle and Jay may have decided to take on a whole boot of beer near the end of our meal, good times had by all!
Boot down!

Kyle and Doug are hilarious and ridiculous, see below, and it was so so nice to see Julie!!  She's a serious teacher-type so my late night work and drinking schedule don't always match up with hers... more hang-outs to come!!  Also her amazing sister Sara just had her second baby boy a few days before this meet up so we got to hear all about Finley!  Hope I get to meet the lil tike when I go down to Jersey!

A picture tells a thousand words...


Saturday morning we woke up excited for Lisa Kanfer to come into town!!  I dragged Jay across town to a museum before she got here... but not just any museum, the Natural History Museum!  Jay was delighted that it wasn't art and we ran through it.  Earth sciences, marine biology and dinosaurs... you can't go lose.  The big blue whale was awesome, Jay was going nuts in the fish rooms (he knows every species of fish, obvi) and with 15 minutes left we found the dinosaurs (my fave).  What's your favorite dinosaur??  Stegosaurus!! 

Chelsea Market

We took the subway back downtown to the Chelsea Market and met Lisa and her in-laws.  I was pretty impressed with this so-called market.  I've heard about it and seen it on the food network, but it was a little too crowded to enjoy... Jay was especially impressed with the lobster place and everyone eating straight lobsters on a plate.  We noshed on some lunch, jay pasta and me gourmet grilled cheese.  We cabbed it back to my apartment and lounged for a little while until it was time to hit the town.


Jay, wearing Marin's signature SU shade
The three of us met my friends at The Ainsworth, a classy sports bar in Gramercy/Chelsea area.  I loved it because there was space to move around, unlike the sports bars in the village... stupid NYU kids.  Anyways, it was a little bittersweet bc Syracuse got knocked out of the tourney that night... but we drowned our sorrows in drafts and Dave had to stop Jay from beating up a drunk guy bc he kept drunkenly stumbling into us ladies.  good times.  


It was also Julia, Lisa's good good friends dirty thirty bday party, so we met them at a swanky Soho establishment called Merc Bar.  It was a little too clean and snooty for da boys so they didn't stay very long, especially since the promise of a large harem didn't really come to fruition.  But Jay, Benny, Dave and I stayed and boogied with Lisa and old old friends from high school, Emily Abrams and Lauren Kunick!  It was nice to be reacquainted with the BH ladies.


---->  Julia (HB 30!!!) & Lisa
Yuca Bar/Cafe
Sunday morning Lisa, Jay and I wandered around the hood for a brunch spot.  The cold front came in and none of us were quite prepared... luckily the Yuca Cafe's menu around the corner looked tasty so we warmed up quick.... the mimosas helped me too.  I had the yuca benedict which consisted of a fried yuca cake as the english muffin and guacamole which wasn't half bad for not being in California, you'll find i'm slightly biased about our avocados.  I would totally go back to this place, it was lively and delicious.  We parted ways with Lisa after brunch and went back to the pad.  I only had another hour or so with Jay until he had to leave for the airport.  This time, our separation felt so real and I felt sad.  Sadder than i've been in the past 3 weeks without him... It's because I've been riding so high on my NYC adventure that I didn't have time to miss my husband, but now that he's come and spent time with me, it awakened the reality that I don't see him everyday... and as soon as he got in the cab and I came back up into my single apartment and turned the lock, I started to cry.  It'll probably be almost 5 weeks until I see him again.  I know time flies here in NY, at least for me it does, but it's still daunting to know he's gone and I miss him so.

No comments:

Post a Comment