Saturday, April 14, 2012

CULTURE AND FOOD, clearly

It all started with my first street hot dog...  I worked through lunch and decided to finally try the vendor parked outside my office building.  $1.50 ma'am.  It probably helped that it was 4pm and I was starving, but this NY hotdog loaded up with everything really hit the spot!  Yum... I'd totally get one again.  The halal cart food that is all the rage nowadays hurt my stomach, so I was extra pleased with my traditional hot dog.

It was Benny Schaefer's birthday party on Friday night at The Gutter, a multi-purpose bowling alley, bar and venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.  I took the whole Brooklyn-themed evening by storm and ventured out to meet my old friend Meryl and her roommates at a bar near her house in Prospect Heights.  I was deep in a strange world when i emerged from the subway but luckily I figured out the right direction to walk on Washington St and I found the bar they were at.  After a few g and t's I wrangled the ladies to the party.  I was very excited to be bringing a gaggle of girls to the party since it's all dudes in my group.  We got there around 1130 and didn't even bowl until after 1am!  Who bowls at 130am???
I loved this bowling alley!  It was very old school, only about 10 lanes, very intimate and cozy... Quite the experience.

Most delicious soft shell crab ever at Upstate

Prawns!
The next day was a wash for me because in so many words I was extremely hungover... and I ruined my Saturday.  I was so disappointed with myself for wasting a perfectly awesome weekend day that I vowed to be super productive on Sunday, and I did, but not before indulging in some oysters and softshell crab with Dave...

The next morning I woke up with a plan! I feel like my weekends are dwindling down and I need to get a move on!  It was raining, so the orange raincoat was in play.  I walked about 13 blocks north to Ess-a-bagel, the first bagel place I went to in NY about 5 weeks prior, where I had the best bagel of my life.  Last time it was a thursday morning, a little different than a Sunday morning.  The line was ridiculous!  It snaked three times inside the tiny bagel shop, but it was moving so I went for it.  Most people would have said, 'forget it' and moved on, but not this soloman-3000.  This time I tried their salmon salad on an everything bagel and cream cheese... So worth it!  I didn't finish the other half, thank the lord, so I gave it to a bum and he was very happy about it.  Everybody loves bagels!
Trump Tower
Central Park & 5th Ave
After figuring out where and what train to take, I walked west on 23rd St about 6 avenues to Madison Sq Park and took the train to Central Park area.  After snapping a few photos on 5th Ave I made it to MOMA, the museum of modern art.  Molly was the one who reminding me what a great museum it was, so I seized the day.  
The Plaza Hotel
The Peninsula Hotel
I only planned on hitting up 2 floors of some of my favorite styles, impressionism & surrealism, but I decided to take a quick glance through today's art gallery.  It was mostly installations and films.  Then I stumbled upon a printmaking exhibit and finally a special Diego Rivera exhibit.  It was staged the exact same way his 1930s exhibit at MOMA looked, which I thought was pretty sweet.  I love him!  My favorite is the Indian Warrior.  

Rivera's Indian Warrior, much more powerful in person!
 









A couple hours later I left the museum and continued on my productive Sunday.  I strolled passed Radio City Music Hall & 30 Rockefeller Center… it was hard not to imagine Liz Lemon bursting out through the bronze doors.  I guess I walked past Magnolia Bakery and snapped a photo of pie making in progress!   


 
Pickles at the counter of Katz Delicatessen
I hopped on the subway and met Dave back in our neighborhood, this time at KATZ Deli!  Finally I was going to try this sucker out!  It was the perfect late lunch.  I opted for a half pastrami and a cup of Matzah ball soup.  Dave went corned beef reuben.  They were stellar sandwiches!  In order to walk it off we cruised down into the little streets of the lower east side, where I fell in love with all of it’s charm!; little boutiques, darling restaurants and dive-y bars.  I can’t wait to come back here at night.  We came across a totally random shoe store owned by a religious jew, they had some nice looking shoes outside so I forced Dave to stop in and he found some classy looking blue shoes.  He was on the verge of purchase when he noticed several Walt Clyde Fraizer from the Knicks' signed photos all over the store and it was a done deal!                                      I found myself a boutique and did a little clothes shopping of my own.  Great finish to a productive new york rainy day!
Katz deliciousness
Raincoat Sunday

1 comment: