Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WEEKEND OF THE TAURUS

Spencer, Dave & Dan at Zum Schneider's
Contrary to popular belief, the week of the Taurus actually happened this year!  Moments before the famous weekend, Spencer and Jess decided to come up from the DC area to get crazy with us New Yorkers, Taurus style.  For the majority of my readers, Week of the Taurus is a tradition we've had since college, getting together in towns all across the country to celebrate the Taurus birthdays of Spencer Vilet, David Moore & Ricardo Velasco (not present this year).  So Friday night, while celebrating Aaron Estrada's birthday at the $3 tavern in Murray Hill (yes everything was $3!!) and sparking a budding romance -talkin bout you Joe & Meryl!!- Spencer and Jess arrived.  It was a fantastic evening clad with a record-breaking hand shake competition.  Way to go nerds!
Dan loves the attention!
Dan & Tom, best friends!

The next day, I attempted to get broadway tickets at the TKTS booth down in South St Seaport (they sell next-day matinees), but alas they didn't have the play I wanted to see, Once.  I learned that the Taurus boys were chilling at a German restaurant right in my neighborhood, Zum Schneider.  So I met the lasses and had a nice Bavarian delight.  I wanted to make the most of my weekend, as per usual, so while they left for a bar to go watch the basketball game, I shot over to Williamsburg to meet Julie Duffield and peanut for a little dog park action!  Peanut is such a nut!  We hung out in McCadden Park, then walked around in Greenpoint a little.  We went into a couple vintage stores and I bought a shirt.  It's totally my hipster androgynous plaid button down I needed to bring home as a souvenir from Brooklyn!  Score!   After shopping, I left Julie and headed back to Manhattan... I met the boys at the sports bar in Alphabet City and began the rest of our night.  I was pretty tired from waking up to early (trying to get tickets) that I knew if I went home that would be it.  So why not just keep going until I'm done for the evening.  And that's what I did.  Many others gathered there, including Meryl, at the request of Mr. Catanese!  Budding romance continues...  
You say, I only hear what i want to...
We went from there to some place on 10th & Ave B with a live band.  There all the boys were breaking out into accapellic harmonies during intermissions of the band and I suggested to just go to karaoke already!  And so we did!  Private room turned into a crazy night of belting out the Boss & Lisa Loeb favorties!  I sneaked off to go home at some point.  It was a fun night!
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens
The next morning, I jumped out of bed and ran up to Times Square, man what an awful place!  But I was determined to get those play tickets and the 'day-of' was my best chance.  Sure enough, the TKTS booth had them, discounted, and I hardly had to wait in line.  I got out of there as soon as I could, trying to escape the oncoming crowds of obnoxious tourists.  I had a few hours before the play with Emily, so with no one awake and wanting to go to brunch with me, I went to Brooklyn to check out the Botanical Gardens.  
It was a quick trip but couldn't have asked for better weather to see the gardens in.  It was gorgeous out with hardly any humidity.  They had the Cherry Blossoms festival going on with a huge tent of performers and food, but I was more interested in the flowers.  It was nice to get out of the city and see so many different types of foliage.  I ran through the garden on my way back to get to the train back to times square…  I made it to the theater with no seconds to spare and met Emily.


Set of "Once"
“Once” the play, was awesome!  If you liked the movie, have listened to the soundtrack, you won’t be disappointed!  And if you’ve never heard of the story, you’ll love it also.  The stage was set as the bar and it never changes and doesn’t have too!  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  Great music and singing and acting.
Back to brooklyn for 2nd time
That night, after the play, this insane person went back to Brooklyn!  Well Emily deemed me legally insane.  I had a mission... to cross off an amazing historical NY pizza parlour from my list.  And Meryl knew all about DiFara's in deep brooklyn... She agreed to go with me and Joe.  So, once again, I got on the Q train to Brooklyn, crossing over the river for the 2nd time today.  I met them at Meryl's house in Prospect Heights and she drove us.  It was a memorable experience, lemme tell ya.  Gotta be one of the best damn pizza's I've ever had, EVER!  We arrived on J street and found ourselves in a Hasidic neighborhood.  In fact, two doors down from DiFara's was a "kosher" pizza joint; poor lads have to have that substitute!  We walk into Difara's and there's two people behind the tiled counter, an old man very concentrated on his work at hand and a younger middle-aged man doing most of the talking.  The place is small, seats about 12-15 ppl, and all the tables are taken.  We ordered our pizza pie for the three of us with sausage and yellow peppers.  It will take about 45 minutes, but we don't mind.  The smell was incredible inside, but we were feeling a lil overcrowded so we took a walk.  

Olive oil topping
A jewish bakery across the street called out to us and we selected a couple cookies and rugula's to munch on.  There wasn't much else to do on the block so we moseyed back into the pizza place, slowly.  While we stood in the corner and stalked patrons to nab their tables as soon as they got up I started photographing the pizza making process. 
cheese chunks
Toppings and toppings

DiFARA'S- MMMMMMMM!
So apparently this old guy has been there since the 50s, every day, hand making every pie.  He rolls out the dough, hand slices big thick pieces of cheese, sprinkles them on... ladles chunky tomato sauce onto the dough, more cheese chunks, and then any other toppings you might have requested.  Slides the delicious looking pie into the pizza oven... 20 minutes later he pulls it out, drizzles it with olive oil generously and rips apart fresh basil leaves and sprinkles them over the pie.  The last thing he does is add more cheese and seal it up in a pizza box.  Within a minute all of the fresh cheese and basil has melted into the pizza and it's ready to eat!  Fantastico!  Increible!  This experience was definitely worth the entire hour it took me to get home on the Q that evening.  I didn't even mind the cold that night on the outdoor platform.

           -------------->>>>>>>>>GO HERE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment