Monday, June 4, 2012

CINCO DE MOLLY

Eye mask twinsies!
Molly, Matt & Alex on their roof!
view from rooftop East
Jumpin Journey
My long-lost friend surprised me with a visit!  Well it wasn't too much of a surprise with a couple weeks notice, but I was still so excited to see MOLLY and show her around my digs!  It was perfect timing too because I was wrapping up easy-breezy fine cut notes on my show and was low-stressin that Friday.  She was staying with her parents in Rockland so I met her extended family for her aunts' birthday dinner on the upper east side.   
Then I nabbed her back to the East Village and the fun began!  We actually didn't do too much that night, met Dan, Dave and Dan Schwartz for a couple drinks but I was getting over a cold and ready for bed.  Plus we were looking forward to brunch in Hells' Kitchen with her friend Matt and his bf Alex.  It was 'gay brunch' to be exact.  And if I had had a hangover that morning the thumping trans music playing in the restaurant would have made my head explode.  Lucky for me, I wasn't hungover.  Steak and eggs and mimosas!  Then we walked through this long flea market back to their apartment which was lovely with high ceilings.  They have an adorable little yorkie who I smothered with attention.  We made some more drinks and walked up to their roof which had a pretty sweet view of midtown and times square. 
view from rooftop west
Times Square leaving Hells Kitchen
Mich, Molly & I @ Blue & Gold
Christian & Chell
tequila?
When our glasses emptied, Molly & I walked back home through the wretched Times Square and through the biggest subway terminal in the city to get to the NR line.  Times Square is soooo crowded it makes me want to hurt people.  We had planned on shopping and milling about but a serious nap was called for.  Michelle, my lil sis, was about to begin her 10 day NY/DC adventure by arriving that night at 10pm, so we needed to rest up good!    Molly called some more hometown friends living in the city and we all met up in my neighborhood... even Christian came out with his bicycle, which I let him keep inside my place.  We met her friends at a local dive bar I've never been to, Blue and Gold.  They're known for their seriously cheap whiskey drinks & shots.  I stuck with tequila on the rocks to level me out.  In the middle of some early debauchery, we got the excited call from Michelle, she has just arrived at my place!  We ran back home to meet her and I quickly picked up a few orders of dumplings from The Dumpling Man across the street!  It's possible that a soup dumpling fell out of my chopsticks and into the brim of my boot... Soup in the boot!  It was delicious... 
 
Wearing Pat's ironic glasses
Anyways, we went back to Blue & Gold (Spike's old stomping ground) and then flocked to some NYU bar i found on 2nd ave that wasn't college crowded.  I told all my boys to come meet after their little karaoke adventure in K-town, in honor of their friend Steve.  They all we're dressed up classy-like, or just flamboyantly-strange.  Hard to put my finger on it, but it was a night of dress-up, nonetheless.
Classy...?
Tom & Pat, the destroyers
We shot over to this nothing bar on 12th & A that we knew had a DJ and a dance floor.  So what if we were the only ones there besides a few other weirdos?  We danced up a storm and brought it till the break of dawn.  I was especially blown away by Tom's spastic dance moves and booty shakes!


The next morning, Chell, Molly and I did something non-traditional in terms of brunches.  We went to Momofuku Noodle bar for brunch/lunch!  (my 3rd time!!!)  Molly was dying to go and had previously suggested dim sum for food requests so this actually made perfect sense... And lemme tell you, momo is just as good for lunch as it is for dinner!  As I'm writing this I'm reminded that I so easily abandoned my normal Momo abbreviation, 'momotaro' sushi in burbank, best damn sushi around!  I guess I'm really a long way from home, but I haven't forgotten you momo!  But I digress...Fuku was excellent and I let Michelle take all the pics bc I've already ooo'd, ahhh'd and blogged about it twice!  Tim was working there of course and hooked us up, AGAIN, with some delicious dishes.  My new favorite was the soy sauce EGG!  A hard-boiled egg coated in soy sauce and something else amazing crusted with a light dose of panko crumbs?  every bite was incredible!  Michelle was a lil embarrassed by mine Molly's ordering behaviors!  When in Rome, Chellis, when in rome!  
Molly & Chell @ Tompkins Sq Park
So soon after that it was time to bid the girls ado.  Molly was taking the metro north train back up to Rockland to spend her last day with her fam... and Michelle was taking the bolt bus down to D.C. to spend a few days with Lauren Youngman!  --> shout out to come soon lady!  
Occupy @ Union Square
Herald Square
I walked them through my lovely Tompkins Square Park and then up to Union Square where Molly took off.  I accompanied Chell up to her bus, @ 33rd... Herald Square area.  I noticed a little Madison Square Garden peeking out around the corner...  It felt like a real Sunday, saying bye to everyone, but I was excited that Chell was coming back in a few days and then joined again by Jay, who I hadn't seen in 5 weeks!!!  
MSG
The homestretch of my stay was here & I was set on enjoying every moment!  This weekend was no exception, thanks for the good times guys!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment